- 1 recipe for vegan pie crust, sugar omitted
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon palm oil
- 1 cup leeks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrots, small dice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon habanero sauce
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups seitan (or your favorite faux meat), cut into small chunks
Ready In: 1 hour 30 min | Servings: 4-6
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Make pie crust as directed, and freeze bottom shell in pie plate.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt vegan butter and palm oil. Add leeks, garlic, habenero peppers and herbs. Sauté until tender.
- Add flour and brown to a light roux. Add broth, soy milk, asparagus, carrots, peas and seitan. Cook for 3-5 more minutes on low flame.
- Add mixture to frozen pie shell, top with pie shell.
- Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and allow to set for several minutes before serving.
- Use a broth with minimal “taste” to it. Some vegan broths can overpower a dish with a very specific flavor.
- Brown the seitan or your desired protein in a pan separate with a little oil to enhance flavor.
380 Calories | 16g Total Fat | 4.5 Saturated Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 520mg Sodium | 360mg Potassium | 53g Carbohydrate | 7g Dietary Fiber | 5g Sugars | 9g Protein
Recipe Source: Yummly/Food Republic